- Calcium helps Strong bone growth.
- Calcium keeps the nerves and muscles working.
- Calcium plays a vital role in keeping the heart healthy.
- Calcium is the primary component of Strong teeth and gum
- Calcium acts as a metabolic boost to gain healthy weight.
At ages Every day requirement :
- Younger than 6 months 200mg/day
- 6 months to 12months 260mg/day
- 1 year to 3 year 700mg/day
- 4 to 8 years 1000mg/day
- 9 to 18 year 1300mg/day
Calcium is best absorbed with the help of vitamin D. Supplements are not required if the kids have enough time to play in the sun. Only breastfed babies may need supplements of vitamin D as it is not present in breast milk.
FRUITS PER 100 GRAMS
- Kismis 130mg
- Khajur (Dates) (Dry) 120mg
- Anjeer (Figs) 80mg
- Neembu (Lemon) 70mg
- (Orange medium size) 60mg
- Mosambi (Sweet Lime) 40mg
- Kharabuja (Musk Melon) 32mg
- Chikoo (Sapota) 28mg
Nature has fruits for every season to build our body.
The lemonade in hot summer is an easy and favourite among kids. It is simple to make nutritious and superior for bone health than any of the shelf drink. Very few kids would resist musk melon or a glass of chilled mask melon smoothie. In the rainy season, we do have mosambi, 2 cups of juice could give necessary calcium intake. Moreover, much coaxing is not needed.
Kismis dates and figs sliced can be used as snacks for kids instead of biscuits or chips. Start an early practice of using them as healthy snacks for the children gets as inclination for healthy food habit.
Vegetables Calcium Contents per 100mg
- Raw garlic 246mg
- Spinach (Cooked) 136mg
- Cowpeas (Lobiya)cooked 124mg
- Mustard green cooked 118mg
- Beetroot 117mg
- Turnips (shalgam) 114mg
- Okra 82mg
- Banana flower 56mg
- Carrot 53mg
- Cabbage (Cooked) 48mg
Seeds (100mg) (Calcium content per 100mg)
- Sabja seed ( basilseed ) 2113 mg
- Spices, basil, dried: 2240mg
- Poppy seed 1438 mg
- Coriander leaf dried 1246mg
- Sesame seed dried roasted 989 mg
All other seeds like fennel coriander bay leaf have a lot of calcium present in them. So when we cook Indian food, we usually add spices which not only provides aroma it isa vital source of many minerals including calcium.
Nuts like almond pistachio walnuts contain calcium but not as high as other spices. Still, it is more nutritious than white bread and carbohydrate enriched food.
Lastly, we all know the dairy products which are the most apparent source of calcium for ages. Milk, cheese and yoghurt are the primary sources of calcium for kids. There are lots of research available which contradict these dairy products as the primary source of calcium. Moreover adulteration and milk quality have become an issue. Thus we should try for a balanced diet with fruits seeds, nuts, vegetables and milk. Dependence on one type of food as a primary source is detrimental to the wholesome eating concept.