This is the most essential things a parents should have in hand during Diwali .
An organised box of essential medicine for your baby so you do not have to search for something or miss something when emergency calls for it. As a mother I have been given numerous advice but this is the most neglected section.
It is infants and toddlers have a tendency to get sick or injured at most odd hours of the day like late in night, early morning or through festive holidays. Naturally the nearest pharmacy may be closed or help not easily available. In the first month I had just dumped in one drawer whatever essentials it came foremost in mind. But this still needed some rearrangement and often I would rummage through the drawer to find it.
Finally after a month or two I made a list of things which are essentials for my medical chest. Here is the list which I have drawn upon and became quite easy and effective for me :
- A non aspirin product. Which is paracetamol generic in liquid form. It is for fever or any kind of pain. Brand names like pediatric crocin or calpol.
- Thermometer. The digital one better
- Medicine dropper or oral syringe. The syringe is better for feeding over 6 months and administering medicine is easy.
- Saline or nasal spray or drops :For the stuffiness of nose due to cold
- An antihistamine : For allergic reaction Consult your pediatrician for the for severe dosage in case of emergency.
- Rehydration fluid: For diarrhea , fever or any other problems . Popularly know as ORS in India
- Rubbing alcohol pads or alcohol for rubbing the thermometers
- Petroleum jelly or organic coconut oil: for treating minor skin irritations.
- Sterile bandages of different shapes
- Sterile cotton balls
- Anti inflammatory cream like Homeopathic arnica
- Arnica liquid drop medicine for minor pain or bruises.
- Ice pack for reducing inflammation or other injuries. Always better to keep the re freezable one . Or you can add water in a ziplock small pouch and freeze it.
- Burnol: Antibacterial cream for minor scalding.
- Calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream: for mosquito bites and itchy rashes.
- Heating pad or hot water bottle. You can get the mini size appropriate for babies
- Ibrufen : For severe pain. Please keep this in case of excessive pain . Please consult your pediatric doctor to know the brand names and the right dosage and take her advice before giving any medicine.
- Antiseptic solutions: Dettol or Savlon to wash the bruises or wounds
- Liquified activated charcoal In case of poisoning when your toddler has gulped anything harmful. Keep it handy and know the dosage from your doctor. Always rush to doctor or hospital in case of emergency.
- Small penlight: To check toddler throat or pupils to check signs of head injury or poisoning.
- Elastic bandages : for sprains as toddlers are still not very skilled in walking
- Small scissors with rounded tips :For cutting the tape or bandages.
- Angle tip tweezers: Usually used for eyebrow plucking for removing splinters or assorted small foreign objects when your toddler get hurt by any small broken glass or similar things.
Keep all these first aid supplies in a portable case (such as tool box) or as I did your spare make up box which has a lock and store it safely out of the toddler's reach.
Please feel free to add any other things which you may feel will help mothers like us to have it in the medical box !