- Whenever you try to brush the teeth with your toddler say around 1.5 years, there is an eagerness to take the brush from your hand and chew it. So you fail to clean all the nook and crannies of the tooth.
- The toddler and even kids always swallow even the pea size toothpaste you put on the toothbrush. Keen to eat it in the first place and ask for more. If you do not give, then she starts to throw tantrums, and the whole purpose of brushing is gone. Added to it is the daily 2 times brushing your kid consumes a considerable amount of toothpaste.
- In between snacks, the kids do not want to clean their teeth. Rinsing of mouth is tough for toddlers and preschoolers. So they tend to avoid it and this is the is the primary factor for acid build up in kids mouth.
- When you try to brush your toddlers or kids teeth, the first thing you should do is to let the child feel that they have the full control and you are just helping them. At any point, the initiation of power struggle should not to started. These are the tricks I now practise with my kid.
- Give your child the toothbrush lets him or her brush first. After that, you say “ I will clean the other teeth after you have finished just to help you”. Many times it works.
- I have given my kid a colourful brush which she keeps on brushing. I keep to myself another brush which I use after she has completed. Often a deal is done as “She will get her favourite brush if only she allows me to clean properly.”
- Battery powered toothbrush for my kid has done wonders. It has made brushing fun, and the main reason I have invested in it is it helps to remove the food particles rather fast and very efficiently. This powered toothbrush quickly attains the 2 minutes of brushing which is often very a difficult to achieve. It may seem that the cost is too high at first but the benefits quite amazing. No need to buy very costly ones .Just buy the powered tooth brush which has replacement head. The changes of replacement head maybe four months. Very enjoyable for a pre schooler and for even 2 years old you can do it yourself as it is a bit bulky for them to hold. Another thing to keep in mind does not add any paste in these brush. It is better just to brush without paste to remove the food particles. The tooth paste makes the bristles worn out very fast.
The recipe for the toothpowder is as follows:
- Organic Multani Mitti 100 gramme
- Organic Neem Powder (1 teaspoon) Do not mix much as it has a very bitter taste.
- Organic clove powder.(1 teaspoon spoon). You can grind it in your home.
- Orange peel powder (1 tablespoon)
- Calcium Carbonate powder (2 tablespoons) If this is unavailable which I often use is the crushed calcium phosporica tablets of homoeopathy medicine. As this is pure and free from harmful radicals. Moreover, it is good for remineralization of teeth and bones. So a small amount if consumed is beneficial and also gives a sweet taste to the tooth powder.
Just mix it and put it in a glass jar. For kids put in a good plastic container a smaller amount. Pour it in their hand and ask them to dip their finger and put in the mouth. After that start the brushing. The organic tooth powder helps in the killing of the bacteria and quickly reduce the acid formation in the mouth. The main culprit for tooth decay.
These process if included in the daily routine the fear of dental cavity would be eliminated efficiently along with the food habits. Food habits are the next major issue to maintain the healthy and strong teeth.
You may like to read misconception-of-tooth-decay-in-indian-kids.html