The rise of infertility treatment in India had led the surge of twins pregnancy. The news of twin pregnancy often overwhelms the couples and creates confusions in them. But the priority should be to stay focused and take care of yourself and the babies. Here are ten tips to prepare yourself for the most eventful journey in your life.
- Do not eat for three: It is just a simple calculation 300 calories more for each baby. So with twins a maximum of 600 to seven hundred more calories. No need to fret that you are having less food and have to feed three of you.
- Focus on the pregnancy by each day: Twins or multiples always counts for higher risk than the singleton pregnancy. Stay focused on your pregnancy and do not build up tension on what will come next. Take things day by day as it happens. It is good practice for your well being and your babies.
- The full term for twins is usually earlier than 37 weeks: You should be prepared because early labour is relatively common in twin and multiple pregnancies to avoid complications. It is essential to know about preterm labour symptoms.
- Anaemia needs to be monitored: Most often in twin pregnancies, there is an increased risk of anaemia. The gynecologist would put you on special supplements and more regular bloodwork. Eat healthy iron-rich food.
- Reading good books related to twin: Do a lot of learning about twin care and preparation as this will come handy. The information is more structured. As twin pregnancies are less frequent, tips from your nearest family members or friends are few and mostly wrong and full of misconceptions.
- Proper antenatal care: It is imperative to have a specialist to look after your health as twin pregnancies are all high risk. If you feel that your gynecologist is not satisfying in your queries. Do seek some competent and experienced gynecologist who has experience in twin deliveries.
- Do not be too bothered with the belly size: you may face a lot of queries when you are carrying twins or multiples. Why the belly is too small or too big. Do not be worried. Nowadays you can depend on the ultrasound scan of your babies for their proper growth and even weight
- Increasing chances of gestational diabetes if you are carrying twins: A scheduled test of gestational diabetes is usually done between your 24th – 28th week of gestation. At this is the time the placenta(s) are producing substantial amounts of hormones which may hamper the insulin production. Follow the diet chart and be cautious with carb intake
- Take rest during later months of pregnancy: You may need a bit more resting in the latter months to take care of the weight of babies on your cervix and may prevent preterm.
- Be ready with a good support system: Many times in twin pregnancy; the pregnancy itself can be complicated and stressful. Build a support system of your in-laws or parents or caregivers who should be ready whenever requirement arises.
The foremost thing is to stay positive and enjoy the roller coaster ride of life.