The coordination of pen and paper stimulates many brain activity simultaneously. It helps in stimulating the motor skills, the memory and the attention.
Handwriting enables a better reading ability in the higher grade as the brain becomes efficient in decoding the letters at a faster rate.
If a child wants to express their ideas and articulate them in a logical way writing form of communication is more skilled in these process rather than the keyboard.
Moreover, handwriting has a positive effect on the concentration of the child. Studies have shown that concentration in studies has increased compared to the similar activity of typing on the keyboard.
Cursive writings also have beneficial effects on the kids and not to discarded altogether. By the grade1 or 2, a child can start cursive writing. Cursive writing makes a better speller as they can have the fair idea of the word formation beforehand.
Persistent practice of handwriting for the lower grades helps to reap the benefits as the child moves to the high school. Here are the few things which a parent can do to keep the writing skills interesting.
- Writing letters to grandparents or relatives or even friends. The whole process of writing the letter, address, stamp and postage excites a child. Ensure that the exchange of the letter is done. Parents can offer guidance with learning to write the letter even before their child begins school and through their early years of schooling. The fun activity of writing letter helps simultaneously in writing and vocabulary building.
- Dairy keeping. Many of us have enjoyed keeping dairies right from our childhood to teenage. Encourage your child to keep a diary and write something on a daily basis. For the primary grade, you can provide the guidance. The mind remains sharps as memory power gets boosted. I remember my diary was sometimes a place for penmanship and enjoyed different colours of ink to write. Do n't forget to start early, so it develops into a habit.
- Shoppers list: Whenever you go out for grocery shopping ask your kid to make the list of things you need to buy. This is particularly interesting for young children as they feel that they are involved in a crucial household work.
- Play games where writing is required. The game of quiz where a child has to write. Many of us might remember the game (name, Place, animal things). Where with a starting alphabet we had to write under each subheading .it is fun and encourages a kid to develop the vocabulary and general knowledge for primary kids
- Memory book of vacations: if you and your family are a travel bug encourage your children to write a travelogue. Do print pictures to make it interesting. Also the listings of the travel items to be taken. A fifth grader can even keep a travel routine if going for a long vacation
- Recipe book: A food lover will be excited in noting down the recipes which they find appealing from newspaper or cookbook. Even they can cut pictures from the newspapers or magazine. Also a review of the restaurants and which food they found tasty and fresh.
- Prepare a weekly routine : Sit with your child to help them to develop their routine and write down. Kids enjoy doing it.
- Writing poems or stories: You can encourage your kid to write poems or stories if they have the aptitude for it.