All of us have welcomed music to our babies world even before birth by singing lullabies or playing music. But in today’s busy world it has become more puzzling and overwhelming with lot of media intrusion to enjoy the simple time of have sitting and singing with your child. You are busy with so many communication devices and often lead our children to listen to them. The babies become passive audience then being an active participant in them. This stage their developing brain would not to be able to appreciate and enjoy it. This can be changed with a little bit of effort and conscious effort.
- Sit with your baby on your lap and sing any lullaby or any rhythmic song with gentle rocking and clapping. It helps to develops a sense of rhythm and sound . The baby will feel the warmth of you and also enjoy the song. Even one or 2 song is enough for a day .It creates a great rapport with your baby and it is a lifelong thing to cherish this stage won't last long. A beautiful way to initiate in the world of words let him/her follows your word of the song by let him/her watch your mouth movement . It help him/ her to learn the words and also the expressions naturally and instinctively. If you are a bilingual family try to sing song in both the language. Babies have a natural ability to soak in different languages and it would help to increase the emotional quotient.
- As your child have grown to a toddler age you can introduce quite harmless musical instruments which creates a sense of rhythm. Instruments that can be banged like drums xylophone or cymbals bells and rattles. You can sing a song and ask them to bang the drum or xylophone. This gives the toddler with some activity and a sense of rhythm.
Toddler and rhythm and hand and feet coordination development.
- The songs with hand activity is best to make the him/her enjoy and develop and strengthen the cognitive ability. To usher the toddler in the external world in an exciting and colorful imagination this is one of the simplest way. Like you can sing the popular rhyme songs “row row row your boat “ ,” wheel on the bus “ and” incy wincy spider”and even songs of the of your own vernacular. Let your toddler to copy your hand and leg activity. You will enjoy when the toddlers stomps and shakes their hand. This simple activity can take only 15 minutes of your time. It is an inexpensive and good parent- child time spending. After a few days the child will start to hum the tune and even do the hand and leg activity on their own and thoroughly enjoy themselves.
- the toddler is becoming more conscious of the outside world and every new experience is overwhelming for them. The musical activity can go on but it would be better to have it in a more social community. A community centre with parent and child activity like singing or dancing would make your toddler more social and open up the emotional field. Playdates with 2 or 3 children within your community maybe twice a week for at least an hour is more than welcoming. It is in this playdates you can play some musical instruments and make them to sit and listen maybe for fifteen minutes. At this stage even 15 minutes attention ia lot of span for the ever busy toddler. If instrument playing is not your forte you can switch on to some music and dance and tap with them. A lot of fun and team building happens very naturally with these. It would be a stressbuster for the moms as well.
- When your child is 2.5 years and the passing of the toddler years the children become a lot more active. They now have developed a good amount of vocabulary and can relate it with actions. So you have a more eager kid who wants to do more. You can ask him/her what instrument he /she wants to play.After a few trial you will notice that your kid has chosen one. This is a good way of empowering your kids for decision making and yet it's very simple.
- You can introduce around 3 years some wind instruments . These serve a very good purpose. The child feels an excitement if he/she can blow wind with different pressure varied sound comes and to the child an immense pleasure. The control of breathing technique is picked up by your child quite naturally and effortlessly.
- Around 3 years your child is ready for a kindergarten school and now the child may have developed a considerate amount of inclination for any musical instrument playing or vocal or even dancing please encourage him or her. Check frequently to see whether the kid is ready to take and follow the instructions and can then arrange for an after school activity.Community centres or individual offering classes are a great source of lessons.