So to develop your child into a more mature resilient person who could carry forward their life into a more meaning way Emotional quotient should be developed and its is an ongoing process which you as parents should start as early as you can.
We need not go into great scholarly details of these jargons but simultaneous we could help to develop the emotional quotients .these things were long in our tradition of extended family which suddenly got disrupted by modernisation and overambitious parents.
Children are like instruments you have to strike in a right cord to make them bloom into some new music but not a dull one.
Some parents are too worried that money is the constraint for these as you need to buy quite expensive toys with a detailed long literature of benefits and use. Look around you will find simple things to entertain and develop your child eq.
I have suffered from these complexities but after much learning from around and even our elders came to inexpensive innovations.
It gives the joy of innovation to you and the same time new plays and varieties which your child would not be bored which usually happens with toys.
- 1.Singing and playing some instruments along with the baby. Allow your baby to touch the instrument.
Here are some instruments.Play small guitar in front of your baby. Let her move the string and clap to music. You can also play the drum but be careful with the drumstick as it has the choking hazard. These all activities should be supervised by you or your caregiver.
Secondly, if you have an elder sibling allow the kid to play some musical instrument in front of little one. This playing of instruments would be a great entertainment process for both and an emotional bondage. In this process, the older kid would be encouraged, and baby will start responding to facial expression.
2. Ball game can be an excellent exercise for cognitive coordination and as well as emotional
Buy lots of them of bright colours, and you can make the baby sit around them. Let her touch and feel. Pick up balls and then throw balls at her. Baby will try to imitate it and encourage her by clapping and or saying “wow great”. If your child is hyperactive, then it is an excellent way to release the energy.
My very active baby could be easily seen laughing and expressing lots of emotion through blabbering. If she could hold the ball a sense of achievement would come around her face and
She would look around for encouragement. Frustration would soon follow as she would fail to throw it. Just connecting to my eyes, she would try again. This activity would engross her for at least 20 mins.
3. Another thing I have played with my baby was the light and shadow game. This shadow game is an inexpensive game. Just stand in front of the light and then move. The child will understand and try to imitate it. It can best be done in an open space with the sun in your backyard. An appreciation of nature would make your baby more empathetic.
Another fun way to make her aware of her surroundings when you are tied down inside your house is to create light and shadow of some animals and birds. You can buy these books of paper cuttings for making animals. Just cut them. You can colour them with fluorescent markers.
Now switch off the light. You can place the animal in front of your wall and switch on the torch on and off and can make the animal sounds.
My daughter was enthralled with this play and was by this way she could identify a few animals and try to imitate their sound. A surreal imaginary world created within a few minutes.
4. If you have a pet, say a dog or a cat allow your baby to interact with them and try to build a friendship. Living with the pet teaches children empathy and develop a sense of responsibility. But these needs a direct supervision from your end. The baby at this stage starts to crawl and may try to explore the places of the pet. The pet may feel intimated.
One good play is to let the pet sit beside you and the baby on the side and let her touch the fur and make her do feel it with light strokes which she can imitate from you. Be careful that the baby does not clutch hold of the hair as it is the tendency of a baby.
As the baby grows up, they will develop friendship and love for animals.
5. Sing song voice appeals to children a lot. If you like to give instruction, you can sing in some familiar tune and ask to do it.You can point out to your baby by singing ( please come here mama is here) She would respond more readily than simply instructions.