After a long-standing argument on “whole word meaning” or phonics (understanding the relationships between sounds and their written representations). Cleary phonics was the clear winner. Now how to make it enjoyable and exciting. Proactively forward a simple, effective structure a reading program designed by many know publishers or by yourself. There the famous UK system of jolly phonics. You can easily practice it as the concept is still new in India. Or many books which follow the phonics pattern.
- After the introduction of the alphabet, introduce the sounds along simultaneously. This helps them develop phonemic awareness. Then will help them to pronounce many words at a go effortlessly
- You will find them effortlessly pronouncing word after word. Introduce combination sounds”th" “ or “st” sound.
- Assist in phonemic awareness development: A phoneme is “ is a unit of sound in speech” like letter /m/ .this can be done by breaking words down into the smallest of parts. Your child will learn to “sound out” each of the phonemes and will soon become proficient at doing this.
- After this start with the combination of phonemes to make new words.
- Do not pressure on grammar word or sentence. It is a slow learning process and will pick up in time.
- Children like rhyming words. Finds books which are straightforward with simple rhyme sentence. There are vast materials. You can download online.
- The more a kid reads, the better their reading skills will be.Now how to get the kids to practice to read on a daily basis. Use predictable books. ( Predictable books have the same basic sentence on each page. ) It has different levels. Please bring books that are suitable for your child reading level.
Also please read to your kids. Both the reading b themselves and reading to them will help to internalise the reading habit.
All you need to be patient and teach your child every day in short bursts.