- The heavy bag pulls the body backwards. So to compensate the body leans at front. The backwards pull leads to the compression of spine causing shoulder or back pain.
- The bad posture of forward bending with drooping shoulders affects the child health.
- Backpack worn over one shoulder would make the spine to curve leading back and shoulder pain.
- Heavy backpack makes the balance of the kid more precarious when moving up down the stairs. Tripping and hurting of the child increase manifold.
- The long terms effect according to physical therapists is “It may cause a forward head and rounded shoulder posture, which may result in tight pectoralis muscles and excessive strain on the cervical spine (neck). "
Our children are carrying backpacks from developmental age similar to a military backpack. Please be aware of what your child carries and what kind backpack your kid should uses. Any dangerous situation needs to be addressed immediately with a proper management of the right kind of bag and the weight of the backpack. Be proactive, form a conscious forum among the parent group and bring it to the notice of the schools and the class teacher.