There are several different methods of taking a child’s temperature. Which one you use will depend on your child’s age and your personal preferences.
This is suitable for children of the age of 5 years old and above. This is because children of a younger age would have the risk of biting.We have 3 things in mind.
- The child should not breathe through the mouth at the time taking the temperature.
- Should not eat anything hot or cold 15 minutes before taking temperature otherwise, accuracy is not achieved.
- It should be under the tongue because there are the most blood vessels for accurate measurement.
- It takes only 2 to 3 seconds.
- Measurement is quite accurate. Still, take around two times to be more specific.
- To straighten the ear pull it back slightly.
- If too much of earwax for small children it might cause slight variation.
- This is done by using a skin thermometer. It is digital infrared thermometers. But it is generally discouraging as the inaccuracy is quite varied.
The most accurate temperature can be obtained in the anus.
Most suitable for a 1-year-old child.
- You should be careful of inserting a maximum of 1 inch (i.e. 2.5 cm)
- Put vaseline while inserting in the anus of your child and held the baby steady otherwise, it may cause a wound.
- The time for temperature taking should be around 2 minutes.
- First and the oldest is the Glass thermometer. You have to shake it to make the mercury level down to 95-degree Fahrenheit. Be careful of the glass.
- The modern Digital thermometer. It is a bit expensive but easy to read as the beep sound comes only after the temperature is constant.
- Infrared digital temperatures are the expensive and new in the market.They are the used in ear and skin measuring temperature.