Firstly we have to manage the visual media mainly Television laptop,smartphone and tab.Secondly the Reading and writing material and positions. Thirdly the eating habit of our kids.
Nowadays television is an integral part of every household. You can do the following:
- Install a flat television with LCD screen. It is better than the newer LED because of the pulse with modulation. PWM can cause distracting visual effects to adjust the brightness of the screen. Even computers and smartphones use this technology. The short waves lights can cause damage to your retina according to many types of research.
- Reduce the backlight control of the LCD. For plasma tv reduce the contrast control. All these helps in reducing the reflection.
- Place the tv in a position where the light is above it or back of it. The placement of light will contribute to minimise the sharpness of the television light.
- Always switch on the lights while watching tv.Dim light strains the pupil of the eye to adjust to the dilation caused by low light. Hence this leads to the fatigue and vision damage.
- By a screen guard for your tv. Even though it is expensive, but it serves a two-way purpose. It reduces the sharpness and also protects the screen from kid's hands and play objects.
- Do not place the tv in the bedroom. The reason is twofold harmful. Firstly the kids would have a tendency to stretch on the bed and watch the television. Lying down can put a strain on the eyes as angles of the eye while watching tv, is more distorted. Always make the kid sit up and look at the television to prevent less distortion.
- Ideally, the screen should be at eye level, or the top of the screen should be at 17 degrees above the eye level.
- The blue light emitted affects the eye more. You can use many blue light apps in your phone to reduce it. Recently expensive smartphone with OLED has a considerable blue light reduction.
- For smartphones what you can do is to limit the time to a minimum. Smartphones are more harmful to vision when compared to the television.
- Use of the laptop as a desktop to prevent the distorted angle view.
- Uninstall all games from the smartphones. The game makes the kid glued to smartphone for longer duration.
Researchers have proved that Sunlight stimulates the production of Vitamin D which regulate eye health. The widely accepted theory is that the sunshine triggers the release of dopamine, directly in the eye itself. This dopamine helps to control the shape of the retina and stops the unnecessary elongation of the retina which is the primary cause of short-sightedness in children. So here are the few things we can do to help to stimulate the production of dopamine.
- Allow the child to play in sunlight almost 2 hours a day. It allows the release of dopamine in eyes.
- Allow your child to seat in the room where sunlight enters.
- Even sitting in the balcony during daylight and reading is good.
- Encourage to do their homework during daylight if possible.
- Reduce the screen time especially at night.
- Every weekend spend time outdoor in the park or open spaces instead of the shopping mall. In hot summer season during school breaks take your child along in the morning for a walk.
- Books for your kids should be kids friendly with big fonts and colours.
- Make your children study in a proper study table and not on sofa or bed. This helps to maintain the eye distance. Place the study table in the area when the sunlight comes preferably near a window.
- The ideal distance from the eye of your child to a book on the writing desk should be about 30 cm (or 12 inches.)
- Keep a table lamp on the desk with a shade as the glare should not affect your kid. The lamp should be at the eye level of the child.
There are Yoga related to eye muscle strengthening and eye relaxation exercise. Make your child practice once a day after learning them. They help to strengthen the eye muscles and improves vision power.
Lastly, ensure your child has adequate sleep and rest. The best way to the relaxation of eyes.